Snare (fixed)

Discussion on all aspects of building: size/shape, wood, snares, acoustic theory, etc.
Ben

Snare (fixed)

Post by Ben » 2013-11-30 4:27 PM

I've decided to adjust my snare as I build, but then make the solution I come up with permanent. I started with two halves of an old drum snare, attached to a piece of wood with screws, much like Dave's below, about a third the way down the cajon. The snares are about 5.5" long. Angling the wood about 45 degrees means the snares meet the tapa very abruptly and are tensioned quite tightly against the tapa. This mimics the tightening of a drum snare and seems preferable. If the snares touch the tapa loosely, I imagine that would mean not much snare sound and more ringing. But I didn't really experiment with that.

The two halves, laid tightly against the tapa, are too much snare! I tried using just one half, and trimming the snares on one half to only 4 inches. This may be what I go with, a similar setup I see to the one the basic Meinl cajon, only they staple the snare to the tapa.

casey
Site Admin

Re: Snare (fixed)

Post by casey » 2013-12-01 4:32 AM

Ben wrote: If the snares touch the tapa loosely, I imagine that would mean not much snare sound and more ringing. But I didn't really experiment with that.
Interesting. I'd like to play with snares more... I have two in mine, about 10" long each. They sound great to me, but I like a ton of snare sound (not with the kick though). I do have to be really careful about how they lay against the tapa, though. If they aren't just right they either don't sound or they sound all rattly and last too long, etc., as you suggest. But i have a good mounting/positioning system (with a thick/stiff wire cable) so I can get them at the right angle and leave them there pretty reliably. I adjust them every few months.

But generally I'm definitely pro-snare so far (as opposed to strings or rattle or whatever).

Ben

Re: Snare (fixed) plus tapas front and back

Post by Ben » 2013-12-08 12:43 AM

The snares do linger a bit in time, and even hitting the center you get some snare. They're not very tight, with the ends just laying there with pressure. Meanwhile the rear tapa without snares has much more drum tone, almost like a floor tom, not as loud though. With the whole thing glued (I didn't want to bother with drilling and screws) the sound from the front is a lot boomier with rear tapa of 5mm, like the front. It has a real boom. Damping the back reduces it to a thud. I do recommend you try a rear tapa some time, it gives a very "African" sound.

s.pathak

Re: Snare (fixed)

Post by s.pathak » 2015-05-06 3:29 AM

If they aren't just right they either don't sound or they sound all rattly and last too long, etc.,